The concept of custom ecommerce development has broken all the previous records of popularity – and has become one of the most sought-after questions from business owners.
But why is that?
Why every business owner is curious about custom ecommerce.
Does it hide any surprise for businesses?
It surely does!
This whole blog is full of surprises.
Want to know about the benefits of Custom Mobile Apps?
Click Here: 7 Crazy Benefits Of Custom Mobile Apps For Business
The launch of ecommerce revolutionized and transformed the way people conduct business.
In the early years, ecommerce was slow as this concept was very new to the people.
Do you know the first eCommerce company was Boston Computer Exchange, which launched back in 1982?
The popularity of ecommerce started growing after Amazon’s launch in 1995.
Custom ecommerce stores are getting people’s attention like never before.
This blog post covers all the information you need before starting custom ecommerce development.
eCommerce Market State
Custom eCommerce development is gaining attention day by day – and there’s no sign to stop.
Here’re the 10 custom ecommerce development market stats which will blow your mind.
- The e-commerce market will generate $6.3 trillion by the end of 2023.
- In 2023 20.8% of retail purchases will be done online.
- By 2026 the number will increase from 20.8% to 24% of retail purchases completed online via ecommerce platforms.
- Currently, there’re 26 million custom ecommerce platforms available on the internet.
- The United States ecommerce market has an average return rate of 16.5%
- Walmart, eBay, and AliExpress are the most visited e-commerce websites
- The fastest-growing ecommerce market in 2023 is Singapore.
- Free delivery remains the most convincing thing for buyers in 2023.
- 57.6% of internet users buy something online at least weekly
- Mobile devices are used 60% time to make a purchase online.
Successful Examples of Custom ecommerce Websites
As mentioned above there’re 26 million customized ecommerce websites are available on the Internet.
But the main thing to consider here’s not every ecommerce website is equally successful.
Only a very small number of custom ecommerce solutions get enough customer attention.
Here’re the 3 most successful custom ecommerce websites in the market right now.
The world’s leading and biggest ecommerce platform. Amazon is not just a custom ecommerce platform but also focuses on cloud computing, online advertising, digital streaming, and artificial intelligence.
In 2022 the company made a revenue of $513.98 B – more than any other ecommerce platform.
What Makes Amazon The Most Successful ecommerce Platform?
The intuitive interface and easy-to-understand options are the biggest reason why they perform better than any other ecommerce platform.
The world’s 2nd most popular and one of the biggest ecommerce platforms. Walmart is known for its wide range of products at very reasonable prices.
Walmart’s revenue amounted to approximately $611 billion worldwide.
What Makes Walmart One of The Most Successful ecommerce Platforms?
Multiple good reasons make Walmart one of the most successful custom ecommerce platforms. Besides the lowest price, prompt delivery and the best value for money make customer loves them.
The second most successful department store in the US with 258.34 million monthly visitors.
The annual revenue of Target remains at $109 billion in 2023.
What Makes target one of The Most Successful ecommerce Platforms?
Target’s wide range of products makes it the second most popular department store in the US.
What is Custom eCommerce Development?
Custom ecommerce development is a customized and tailored approach to make a website exclusive for a specific business or brand. Custom e-commerce websites stand out from off-the-shelf and existing template-based websites. They are built keeping a specific user base and business needs in mind.
Additional Knowledge About Custom ecommerce Development
- Custom ecommerce development services create everything from scratch.
- A unique and personalized experience for visitors and customers
- Custom ecommerce website is built keeping business needs and demand in mind.
- A more flexible and scalable means to create an online solution.
- Visual graphics, colors, and typos are much better and more appealing than off-the-rack solutions.
What Are Some Popular Features of Custom eCommerce Websites?
Custom ecommerce development is known for its advanced features, appealing interface, and smooth user experience.
Due to all these reasons, business owners with a handsome budget consider custom ecommerce development over off-the-rack websites which can be built even for a few hundred dollars.
If we talk about the features, custom ecommerce websites are integrated with essential features which drive user experience to the whole next level.
But often we’ve seen custom ecommerce developers filled the website with superfluous features which make the website slow and confusing.
To know which features to include in custom e-commerce development – make sure to go through this part.
10 Popular features in a Custom ecommerce Website
- Simple Messaging: You must communicate with your customer in a very friendly way. Through the text, pictures, and visuals you must guide them towards the next step.
- Mobile Website: The custom ecommerce website should be mobile optimized. More than 60% of online purchasing is done through a mobile device. If your eCommerce website will not be mobile-friendly you can face severe consequences.
- Product Navigation: Any customer who visits your website comes with one goal which is to buy a product. Make sure that the custom reaches the product page in less time and effort.
- Search Box: The search box streamlines various activities. Having a search box at the top of the website is necessary. Do you know 43% of website visitors use the search box on the website?
- Product Cart: A custom ecommerce website with a product box feels incomplete. A product box allows customers to gather all the products in the cart before proceeding to the checkout.
- Tracking Order: Tracking orders wasn’t an important feature in the past. But in recent years, websites are integrating this option to offer a better experience.
- Chatbots: Having a chatbot option makes it easier for your customer to get in touch with the customer support team.
- User-Friendly Navigation: Your website interface shouldn’t be confusing at all. Similar products should be categorized in different product sections.
- Ratings And Reviews Board: Over 99.9% of customers read reviews when they shop online. Having genuine product reviews helps you sell more products.
- Payment Methods: Always provide several payment options on your custom ecommerce website.
Why Build a Custom eCommerce Website?
If you’ve found yourself stuck between custom ecommerce development and off-the-shelf websites – and unable to make a decision.
This part of the blog will help you understand why custom ecommerce is better than off-the-rack websites and why should you build one.
Here’re the 8 reasons why you should build a custom ecommerce website.
- Custom ecommerce web design offers a relatively a much better, smooth, and seamless experience that a off the rack ecommerce can never ever think of.
- In a fiercely competitive market, a customized ecommerce website can help you to stand out and give you an edge over competitors.
- You can make a tailored and personalized interface by undertaking your business and audience needs.
- You can even integrate modern-day trends and technologies without any complications.
- Custom ecommerce websites generate more revenue than off-the-rack eCommerce websites.
- Custom ecommerce development automates business operations.
- Scale up the existing solution as your business grows.
- Bespoke to your customers and address their concerns.
Benefits of Custom e-Commerce Development Services
Many business owners see an off-the-rack solution as an ideal option for ecommerce development as it is affordable and can be managed even by a non-technical individual.
But these are the only top two highlighted perks that off-the-shelf solution offers.
The cost which seems affordable upfront will be expensive when you look out for the premium features.
On the other hand, a custom ecommerce website is really expensive but the benefit it reaps after it’s launched in the market can never be ignored.
Here’re some top benefits that custom ecommerce development drives.
1. Be Unique and Outshine (Stand out From The Competition)
Standing out of the ordinary and making a statement is the only way to go in 2023.
There are an estimated 12 million – 24 million eCommerce sites across the entire globe.
Now imagine you as a completely new ecommerce business and stepping in such a massive number – can you win the race?
Well, think again.
There’s one way you can be successful which is by custom ecommerce development.
When you look different and better than everyone in the market – customers will attract you automatically.
2. Enhanced Security (Implementation of Foolproof Security)
Do you know 30,000 websites are hacked each day?
The easiest target for hackers are websites owned by small businesses as they don’t have world-class security measures.
Ecommerce websites build on existing templates and the solution often gets hacked as they don’t follow high-level security measures.
On the other hand with features like encryption, firewalls, and safe browsing, custom ecommerce development makes data impossible to hack.
3. Boost Conversion Rate And Decrease Bounce Rate
Custom ecommerce website has a better conversion rate than off-the-shelf ecommerce websites.
There’re numerous reasons to support this statement.
- Customers love personalized experiences more than non-personalized experiences.
- Customers spend more time with things that offer unique experiences.
- Custom ecommerce offers intuitive navigation which increases the conversion rate and reduces the bounce rate.
All these factors influence the conversion rate and reduce the bounce rate.
4. SEO Friendly (Custom Websites Are Integrated With SEO Practices)
Custom eCommerce websites are generally more SEO friendly and rank much quicker on search engines than off-the-shelf websites.
Custom ecommerce web design service when making custom ecommerce sites take care of SEO practices that help the website achieve ranking faster.
5. Control Over Functionality
Freedom is the best thing you get when developing a custom ecommerce website.
That means if you want to integrate a feature you can do it instantly without any complication or restrictions.
Technologies for Custom eCommerce Development
The performance and future of a custom website are based on the technology used in building.
This is why it’s indispensable to choose the right technology stack before you kick off custom ecommerce development.
Choosing the technology will also have a direct influence on the cost of custom eCommerce development.
The more advanced and complex the technology will be the more it’ll have an influence on the cost.
A few of the main technologies used to build custom ecommerce are jotted down below.
- HTML (HyperText Markup Language)
- CSS (Cascading Style Sheets)
- Ruby [Ruby on Rails]
- Python [Django, Pylons, Flask]
To make the front side or client side of the website that customers view use front-end technologies.
Here is the list of technologies used to make the appealing and engaging front side of the website.
- CSS (Cascading Style Sheets)
The server side of the website remains hidden from the customers. The backend controls all the functions of the website.
Here is the list of technologies used to make the complex backend of the website.
The database collects all the information and data to ensure that the information is safe and protected.
When developing a website it’s important to set up a database.
Following are the popular database.
- Microsoft SQL
- Oracle Database
- AWS S3
Things To Consider Before Developing an e-commerce Website
Developing an ecommerce website is the biggest achievement a business can ever achieve.
But to accomplish such a massive landmark, a business has to consider lots of important things which make sure the development ends up in a successful final product.
If you don’t want to mess up your ecommerce website; keep these things in mind.
1. Comprehensively Research Your Business Niche
Custom ecommerce development isn’t a straightforward journey.
This means custom ecommerce web design services should never start with the project without performing in-depth research on the business and niche.
Good research and extensive analysis contain the following aspects.
- Target audience research
- Competitor research
- Understanding business niche
- Knowing industry trends and technologies
- Loopholes in a competitor website
All this information will help custom ecommerce development services to create a better final product than all the currently available products.
2. Listen To The Target Customer’s Needs and Wants
Understanding your target audience’s needs, concerns, and pain points assists you to develop a product that not just solves all their problem but makes them love you.
Custom ecommerce development is all about making everything from the ground up.
That means if you add your customer to the development process directly or consider their recommendation at least – you will create a user-friendly product – the number 1 sign of a successful product.
3. Create an Engaging And Compelling Interface
Never take the UI/UX design process Insignificant as due to the bad interface all the money will go down the drain.
You must prefer an easy-to-navigate, functional, and user-friendly design rather than a flashy, heavy, or advanced design.
A simple, plain, and sophisticated design is a way to go. But it shouldn’t be so simple that it appears boring.
4. Choose the Right Platform
Picking the appropriate tech stack, APIs, and language is very necessary for your custom ecommerce development.
A small mistake or mishap can influence the performance of the final product.
5. Bear in Mind The Competition
Conducting proper research on successful competitors can help you in coming up with a better product than them.
Here’s the technique.
When you research the leading competitor in your niche and try to be better than them – you bring a more successful product than them.
Few spaces you can look for competitor inspiration.
- How do they design their product pages?
- What promotional tools do they use for their website?
- What features they have used on their website?
The Custom eCommerce Development Process
Custom e-commerce development is a prolonged, Demanding, and Strenuous process.
That means a client or a business owner who is seeking for ecommerce website has to wait for months or maybe a year in case of complex development.
Secondly, custom ecommerce development isn’t a Piece of cake.
Therefore, not everyone is capable to conduct such a complicated development.
And those who are capable to do it – often found themselves in a perplexing state.
As a client, you’ll be a direct part of the custom ecommerce development.
Hence, you should know the phases of custom ecommerce website development.
1. Stage #1: Understanding the Needs of Clients (For Custom ecommerce developers)
When the business owner reaches out to custom ecommerce website development services with project details.
The first responsibility of the developer is to read out the document attentively, so no information is left out.
If the developer feels that information is not complete he can ask for more.
The document contains information like project details and what needs to be developed.
2. Stage #2: In-depth Research and Rigorous Analysis
Once the developer feels that he can complete the project and accepts it.
The next step he will do is will perform comprehensive research and analysis.
The research should be even more in-depth if he has never done such a project before.
The research stage can last for days as the more extensive and comprehensive the research will be more perfect and successful solution the developer will be able to build.
Proper research before stating the custom eCommerce development contains the following factors:
- Market research
- Target audience research
- Competitors research
- Trends research
3. Stage #3: Planning (Roadmap Towards The Final Product)
After performing profound research and gathering all the information required for the custom ecommerce development.
The developer puts all the ideas on a piece of paper and creates a roadmap toward a final product.
The document that the developers hold information like project timeline, tech stack, wireframing, layout planning, UI/UX design testing, and deployment.
4. Stage #4: Design (UI/UX Design That Resembles Your Business)
This is the exact phase where all the technical expertise comes into play.
The custom e-commerce design service creates the layout and interface of the website.
To make a successful product you can take inspiration from the giants in the market.
And try to come up with a better interface than them.
Your website navigation should be easy and intuitive so that no customer could find an issue.
This involves wireframing and prototyping to ensure you get the store’s structure and flow right before developing it.
Read More: How To Make A Modern App Interface?
5. Stage #5: Development (Coding To Give The Final Shape To Your Website)
If we say that the development phase is the most extensive and complex phase in the whole custom ecommerce development journey, it won’t be wrong.
This stage comprises coding, a step only the technical programmers are capable to do.
This stage is divided into two sections; 1) Frontend and 2) Backend.
The front-end developers create the client side of the website.
On the other hand, backend developers create the server side of the website.
6. Stage #6: Testing (Testing To Detect Errors And Bugs)
Once the custom website is developed it’s not just directly launched in the market.
It goes through a rigorous and exhaustive testing process that makes sure that the website is error and bug-free.
If any error is discovered during the testing phase, the quality assurance team removes it instantly.
7. Stage#7: Launching (Deploy The Product Safely)
Once all the faults and errors are removed.
The website is now ready to launch.
You can take the website to your customer through different means.
People Involve in Custom ecommerce Development
- Business Analyst: The technical individual who analyzes the business domain, documents its processes and systems, and outlines business requirements.
- Project Manager: A person who manages the project till the end. The project manager makes sure that the final product meets the client requirements.
- UX/UI Designer: A person who creates the interface and layout of the website.
- Development team: eCommerce Web Developers (Back-end Developer, Front-end Developer). A person who his technical skills.
- Quality Assurance Engineer: Makes sure the final product don’t have any error or faults before submission.
Factors Influencing The Cost Of Custom ecommerce Website
The cost of a custom ecommerce website is based on several factors.
So before you start with the custom ecommerce development here’re the factors you need to consider.
1. Type of E-commerce Website
There are majorly three types of ecommerce websites 1). Marketplace 2). online retailers 3). single brand.
The marketplace is comparatively larger in size with more complex features and countless pages.
Hence the time and energy it consumes are more than developing a single-brand ecommerce website.
Hence you’ll have to pay more money if you want to make a custom ecommerce marketplace.
2. Development Team
Hiring an in-house development team will cost more than hiring a freelancer or working with a dedicated outsourced custom ecommerce web design service.
So we’ve understood that hiring an in-house development team won’t be an ideal option if you have a limited budget to spend.
Hiring a freelancer is still a good option but it also has some drawbacks like language barrier and trustworthiness.
However, the best option is working with outsourced custom e-commerce solutions.
You’ll find all the people with a long-standing experience in a single place.
And interestingly, you’ll get your work done on a very small budget.
3. Number of Pages
The more product you’ve on your website, the more pages you’ve to make on your custom website.
Because in an ecommerce website, every product deserves a dedicated page.
4. Size and Experience Of The Development Team
If you want to make a complex custom ecommerce website more experts from different industries will be needed to complete the project.
Therefore, when more people are working on a project – it increases the development bill.
5. Integrated Payment System
The biggest issue with an ecommerce website is that you want to ensure that the security is foolproof and strong because customers have to provide their payment information and credentials.
So the website developer has to make special security measures that come with a hefty price tag.
How Much Does It Cost To Hire a custom e-commerce Developer In Different Countries?
The cost to hire a custom ecommerce developer varies from country to country.
Hiring a developer from a country with better quality of life and standard of living cost you more than hiring a custom developer from countries with a relatively low standard of living.
For instance, The average web developer’s salary in the USA is $90,664 per year or $43.59 per hour.
Contrasingly, The average developer’s salary in Ukraine is $59,862 per year.
Meanwhile, developers in India and other countries in the subcontinent make $10,000 annually.
Cost of Hiring Developers For Custom ecommerce Development By Technology?
The cost of custom ecommerce development is also impacted by the technology.
Sometimes the cost of hiring a website developer with a specific skillset varies from hiring a website deeper with the same years of experience but with specialization in different technology and language.
Below are the cost of hiring custom ecommerce developers with specialization in different technologies and skillset.
Read More: What Skills Do You Need As A Web Developer?
The rates are according to the US per-hour rate.
How Quanrio Can Help You Build a Successful Custom ecommerce Website?
This is probably the most comprehensive and insightful blog you’ll find on the internet about custom ecommerce development.
Till this point, you must have understood everything about custom e-commerce web design from cost to steps and benefits.
Moreover, you also learned why custom ecommerce is the only way to go in 2023 and beyond.
So if you’re looking to work with dedicated and professional custom ecommerce website development services to build a high-quality custom ecommerce website – you can always get in touch with our team.
Work With Us: Contact Our Team
3 Benefits To Work With Quanrio on Custom ecommerce Development
- Professional team of highly experienced developers
- A dedicated and passionate team makes sure that the final product surpasses client expectations.
- A lower rate than the market.
How Hard Is It To Create An ecommerce Website?
Creating a custom ecommerce website is relatively a more difficult and complex job than building an off-the-shelf website. To build a custom ecommerce website you must know major languages and technical things. A large number of pages and advanced features make it even more difficult.
Why Do Successful Businesses Choose Custom Web Development Services?
Businesses that choose custom ecommerce development become successful because they pick the right option and ignore the wrong option.
How Can ecommerce Improve a Business?
Having an ecommerce website can help a business improves its performance in multiple ways.
- Having a digital identity is paramount in recent times.
- Businesses can operate 24/7
- Offer products and services to multiple regions
- Gain Access to Customer Data Easily.
- Open a new door for gaining new customers and increasing revenue
Can I Create An ecommerce Website For Free?
Yes, you can make an ecommerce website for free with free website builders. However, you can’t build a custom ecommerce website for free.
How Can e-commerce Add Value to a Business?
Having an ecommerce website in the current digital era is extremely important. It can help your business by offering a better experience, representing your expertise, and cultivating an exclusive atmosphere.